Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oh, Mothers' Day.

The one day each year when we take time to explicitly express our appreciation for our mothers, and for all the things they do for us the other 364 days out of the year. I think of Mothers' Day like a birthday; one's appreciation does not remain confined to one day of the year, but setting aside dedicated time for appreciation helps focus our attention on the things we often take for granted.

I also always associate Mothers' Day with spring; this is usually when the days are already getting long, and summer is just around the corner. It is a time of new hope, of lightness of being, of fresh chances. For me, days of appreciation are just that: fresh chances. Opportunities to be more reflective and mindful of the things I too often take for granted, like hitting the reset button on life, or on one aspect of life.

My mom and I did not get along when I was in high school! Let me rephrase, actually, because that previous sentence makes it sound as though we were two skirmishing teenagers. To say 'I was a self-conscious, self-centered brat, and made some poor choices that affected our relationship negatively' would be more accurate. Ten years after high school (holy moley, it has actually been exactly ten years since I left high school at the end of my junior year!), we have a fantastic relationship. The only negative thing about it, as far as I can tell, is that I live so darn far away from her now! :(

I sent her a card, but don't think it arrived yesterday; hopefully it will tomorrow. But I will call her this afternoon to say hi, and to take time to think about her and let her know how much I appreciate her presence in my life. Twenty six (almost 27!) years of love, support, and devotion...that is impressive. Much, much love to my mother and all mothers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment