Saturday, April 16, 2011

Margaritas in...

Pound cake? Check.

I intended to make margarita cupcakes, but found a lemon pound cake recipe, have really cute mini loaf pans, and thought I could just sub out the lemon for margarita mix. (I was going to be a purist and mix my own tequila:triple sec:lime juice, but given the cost of tequila and that I don't really drink it...I figured pre-mixed was a much more cost-effective way to go. I put 3 tbsps of margarita mix (yes, the mix is alcoholic) in the batter, and didn't really get much of a margarita flavor. I mean, it tastes good, but mostly lemony and a bit sweet -- definitely not like tequila at all! Then, I poked holes in the top of the loaf with a toothpick and brushed more margarita on top; it made the loaves nice and moist, but still no bite. I want something with a little bite to it so I can roll the rims in a bit of salt! Every bite should be like biting into tequila-y, lime-y goodness -- not like taking a shot of tequila -- but I'm not there yet.

I also tried making a margarita curd, but put too much sugar in it; I should have reduced the amount of sugar, because I was following a lemon curd recipe. Again, it tastes really good, but too sweet and not like a margarita. Hmph.

So, back to the drawing board. I might have to suck up the cost and go buy a small bottle of tequila, at least to brush on top of the cupcakes, when I try them again tomorrow. And I'll buy some limes, and add some zest to the batter...and definitely reduce the sugar in everything.

The good baking news for today is that my second recipe, from the Flour Bakery cookbook, just came out of the oven and looks delicious. I wanted something breakfast-appropriate that could double as a vehicle for all the jam I canned last summer, so I baked a bran-raisin muffin recipe in mini loaf pans. Super cute, and more surface area for jam!

I think I may be done with baking for the day, unless I make the pate brisee for home made pop tarts a bit later this evening. I will probably end up making it tomorrow, so I can actually get some schoolwork done today. I was going to tackle brioche, but don't want to end up with more baked goods than I can eat! Though I am sure no one would complain if I brought some to school on Tuesday....

No comments:

Post a Comment